What are the application fees for Telecommunications facilities?
Types of Fees
The fees required for application submittal will depend on the type of permit needed for the proposed facility. There are two categories of types of telecommunications projects: 1) new facility, or 2) change to an existing facility.
Note: a 'facility' refers to the equipment for only a single carrier's operation; two carriers collocating on a site (or structure) qualify as two separate facilities.
If the project is for a new telecommunications facility, you will first need to determine what 'tier level' your project qualifies for.
- Tier 1 - Land Use Permit / Coastal Development Permit
- Tier 2 - Director-level Development Plan (plus follow-up Zoning Clearance/Coastal Development Permit)
- Tier 3 - Minor Conditional Use Permit (plus follow-up Zoning Clearance/Coastal Development Permit)
- Tier 4 - Major Conditional Use Permit (plus follow-up Zoning Clearance/Coastal Development Permit)
If the project is for a change to an existing telecommunications facility, you will first need to determine what the existing permit approval is for that facility (Major CUP, Minor CUP, DVP, etc.). Next, you will have to determine how significant the proposed changes would be from the approved permit description.
Revision - Significant change to the approved permit description
Amendment - Substantial change to the approved permit description
Substantial Conformity Determination - Minor change to the approved permit description
Once you have determined the permit type needed for the proposed project, you can calculate the fees for your application using the Board of Superviors-adopted Fee Schedule. Please use the fee amounts on the Land Development - Fee Schedule to calculate your application fees.
Applications for telecommunications facilities are not subject to review by all of the standard County departments (e.g. Flood Control, Parks, etc.). This is in part because they are unmanned facilities but also because they do not require the same type of development components (sewage, water service, flood measures) as other types of projects. Therefore, only the following department fees are collected for telecommunications facility applications:
- P&D Fee
- Fire Fee
- Carpinteria-Summerland Fire District Fee (if applicable)
- County Counsel Fee
- Design Review/BAR Fee (if applicable)
- Mailed Notice Fee*
- Placard Fee*
* Fee amount vary for Coastal vs. Inland projects.